Friday, June 6, 2014

The First Goodbye Kiss

Book Title: SIGHT
Author: Darci Cole
Heat: <3 Sweet <3

***

“You’re leaving.”

Markku turned quickly to see the servant girl standing in the hidden doorway leading to the kitchens. Her gentle face showed pride, and he knew that she would not stop him.

Dropping his bag, he went to her and wrapped her in his arms. Her embrace felt like the dawn of a new day.

He pulled her closer, burying his face in her dark hair.

“I can’t stay here.”

“I know,” she whispered.

He pulled away and saw a single tear roll down her cheek. He wiped it away with his thumb. “I’m so sorry, Edal. I wish there was a way…”

“You’ll find a way,” she whispered. “I know you will, and I’ll wait for you here.”

“Come with me,” he pleaded.

She shook her head. “No. Your father will know I did and he’ll come after you with more vengeance. Go alone, and find a place for us. Then send for me. I’ll be waiting.”

“How can I thank you?” he said, cradling her face in his hand. “You’ve shown me how joyful life can be. Leaving you... I…”

He was still in awe that a creature beautiful and brilliant as Edal had seen goodness in him when he had been his father’s tool. He looked into her crystal-blue eyes. The bliss that a simple smile from her could bring him was his only thought as he lowered his face to hers.

Their lips met softly. All the anger – the tension of having to hide who he was – fell away. Suddenly he could see into the future: his future. Edal wore a white gown, her long black tresses streaming down her back, with lavender flowers forming a crown on her head. She may not be a princess to his father, but she was every bit as elegant and gracious as Markku thought a princess should be.

He let his hand trace her spine, making her shiver and press herself closer to him. He sighed. Their lips parted, and they smiled nervously at each other. He wished he’d kissed her before now. It seemed wrong for him to leave after this.

Holding her hand, he picked up his pack and swung it over his shoulder. They left together through the servant’s door. She followed him until they reached a fork in the passage; one way led to the kitchens, the other to the stables.

They embraced once more. “I will come back for you,” he said. “I give you my word as a knight.”

She had tears in her eyes. “I know you will.”

“I love you, Edal.”

Her breath shook, but her eyes blazed. She threw her arms around his neck and kissed him again. This time, he felt her desire in every move of her lips. Her arms were like shackles he never wanted released. He was her prisoner. But all too soon, he was freed.

She gazed up at him, her eyes filled with adoration. “And I love you, Markku. Please be safe.”

***

One of my favorites. Did you like it? Let us know!

:-*

No comments:

Post a Comment